Friday, April 21, 2006

I'm a NWS Finalist...again...

April 21st, 2006

Almost exactly one year ago I wrote a blog entry announcing my status as a finalist in the New World Symphony audition. You can read it HERE.

A few months ago I auditioned again for the same orchestra, hoping that this time I might improve on my status and actually get a position with them. I received an e-mail today from them. It reads:

"Dear Gustavo: On behalf of Michael Tilson Thomas and the staff of the New World Symphony, I want to thank you for auditioning. After reviewing your audition with the committee, I am pleased to inform you that you have been advanced to the finalist pool for the 2006-2007 season. Our policy is to limit the number of NWS finalists on any given instrument, so you are part of a select group of musicians. Members of the finalist pool are...."

Blah blah blah blah...

Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy about making finalist again. It means I'm doing something right, and I'm actually being considered for the job. But there comes a time when "almost making" is just not good enough anymore. Conceivably I can "almost make" it all my life...and never actually get a job.

Apparently the word that best applies to me this semester is "ALMOST".

1) Alternate, NRO - ALMOST
2) Alternate, Disney showband - ALMOST
3) Finalist, NWS - ALMOST

I've never had a middle name...UNTIL NOW!! Gustavo Almost Camacho.

G-A-C. Gack. That could be my nickname...GACK!! "Hey Gack, what's up dude". "Congratulations Gack, you almost made it." "...and in second place...Gack Camacho!!"

Okay, I'm done sulking. I'll be back to my old weird silly humor in my next entry.

Gack...over and out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, at least it's something to put on the resume. The San Francisco Symphony told me to send them a tape before I could even come out and play. In other words, the resume entry would be "was asked by the SFS to send in a tape that they probably wouldn't have accepted before I could fly out there to audition for a job that I wouldn't have been offered" (I think I'll leave that one off!) P.S. What's up, Gus?

DQ

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear "Gack": No te importe si eres "almost"; lo importante es que pongas siempre todo tu empeño en lo que haces. Most important than Success is Achievement. Casi son sinónimos pero hay una pequeña diferencia. Y de cualquier manera, hagas lo quehagas, logres lo que logres... I will always love you. I love you...I love you... :)

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home